9 Reasons to Adopt a Cat
I recently visited with a woman who loves cats. She loves cats so much that she has adopted 8.
Now, I admit that I did think that having 8 cats in the house might be a bit much. But, who am I to judge as many years ago we had 6 dogs in the house.
And, yes, they did all sleep on the bed. We’re talking medium sized dogs to tiny Yorkies. Sometimes it was a challenge to get out of bed!
But that’s a story for another time.
Anyway, back to the cats.
She invited me over for tea and to meet her cats.
She lives in a beautiful 2 story Victorian farmhouse.
When we walked in, I was immediately greeted by four of her cats.
They are absolutely beautiful and very well cared for.
And no, the house does not smell like litter boxes, as she has several in different rooms of the house.
As we sat and visited over tea, I enjoyed watching the cats and petting them.
They were very curious about me. She has two of them separated because they don’t share food and the other two are very shy.
I did see them peeking out at us, but they would not come close.
She was telling me about her most recent veterinarian’s bills, as her youngest cat has developed problems. She was saying over the last month she has spent around $2,000.00. Ouch!
All of her cats have been adopted. After spending the afternoon with her cats, I can definitely see why adopting a cat would be so much fun.
So, as we sat with her cats, watching them chase shadows in the sun, we started talking about the best reasons to adopt a cat.
We put together the following list:
- We all know cats are independent and that’s why so many people love them. That makes them perfect pets for apartment dwellers and workaholics.
- Great cuddly lap warmers and who doesn’t love that sweet purring!
- They housebreak themselves, so none of this having to go outside in the dark or bad weather. They are so smart to figure out what a litter box is for.
- They are great mousers. Need I say more?
- They do bathe themselves, so that is one less chore that you have to do. We know they hate water, so it’s good they can take care of themselves.
- If you need a companion on your sofa, some cats are great couch potatoes. They will love to be with you as you binge watch Netflix!
- They are wonderfully entertaining. If they have access to a window, they will spend hours watching the world go by and you will enjoy watching them, too.
- Save a life. Adopt a cat. When you adopt from a shelter, it frees up space for another cat to have shelter and perhaps be adopted.
- Stroking a cat is good for you. Studies show that it helps to lower blood pressure as well as lowering the risk of heart disease. So maybe your cat will help to keep you healthy.
We have established that cats are great companions.
So why not cruise by your local animal shelter this weekend and meet your new best friend?
Then you’ll always have an answer for your friends when you are invited some place you’d rather not go.
You can always say “I can’t go out, I’m hanging with my cat.”